Re: mouse alternatives

On Wednesday, October 13, 2004, 8:23:51 AM, Jonathan wrote:

JC> Doug,

JC> Please could you consider not replying to emails that contain the
JC> keyword 'accessibility'
JC> You've suggested offline that you 'haven't the time' to explore
JC> accessibility issues.
JC> Anyone wishing to make helpful comments on accessibility needs at least
JC> a desire to understand the issues.

Jonathan,

I don't consider it appropriate to try and gag people, especially if
they make sound technical comments. I do agree that a desire to
understand the issues is needed for reasonable discussion; the points
Doug makes about separating the physical actuating mechanism from the
events generated is helpful in that regard, and you would do well to
study it.

JC> regards

JC> Jonathan Chetwynd
JC> http://www.peepo.co.uk     "It's easy to use"
JC> irc://freenode/accessibility
JC> On 12 Oct 2004, at 22:30, Doug Schepers wrote:

JC> Hi, Jonathan-

JC> I don't believe that it's appropriate for "mouse keys" to be explicitly
JC> defined in SVG.

JC> However, I *do* think that it's appropriate to include a mechanism for
JC> directional navigation, and to define a method to map keys to
JC> activities.
JC> Given these two abilities, I think that you would have the building
JC> blocks
JC> for such accessibility, and authors could then take matters into their
JC> own
JC> hands. Best practices and standardized accessibility specifications can
JC> allow the authors to produce variously accessible content.

JC> Regards-
JC> Doug Schepers

JC> doug . schepers  @ vectoreal.com
JC> www.vectoreal.com

JC> "Move into the future..."

JC> Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
JC> |
JC> |
JC> | There has been a brief discussion on IRC#SVG, which has led to not a
JC> | little confusion on my part at least.
JC> |
JC> | What plans are there to enable 'mouse keys' in SVG?
JC> | By 'mouse keys' I understand the accessibility alternatives to mouse
JC> | navigation, that use the keyboard.
JC> | (not just tabbing but) Moving the mouse around the screen, dragging
JC> | objects, shift+apple+click+drag(mac)and other mouse interactivity.
JC> |
JC> | Is the WG actively engaged in ensuring that this accessibility is
JC> | being integrated?
JC> |
JC> | Some people have expressed the view that this is an OS issue, nothing
JC> | to do with SVG, and that in the meantime it is up to individuals to
JC> | create scripts to cover these eventualities.
JC> |
JC> | regards
JC> |
JC> | Jonathan Chetwynd
JC> | http://www.peepo.co.uk     "It's easy to use"
JC> | irc://freenode/accessibility