Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Flowing text and graphics

At 01:11 PM 11/30/2004 -0600, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>Peter Sorotokin wrote:
>>I think you are missing the point. I am not talking about semantics or
>>concepts.
>
>I realize that you were not.  I believe they are something to keep in mind
>when making such decisions, however.
>
>>I am saying that new attribute *syntax* is not as good as new markup
>>*syntax*.
>
>That's a vast generalization.  In this case, why have any attributes at
>all? Why not do everything via markup?

Things that are not human-readable text basically must be attributes. And
it is OK to reuse attribute microsynax where it is already defined (e.g.
css length).

>>This is a generally accepted rule for SVG and the only deviation from it
>>is path data (where XML syntax was too verbose).
>
>And you don't feel that it is for this case, I suppose?

Certainly not. It is not going to cause file size explosion (as path data did).

>>But what if I want to fill with text only a shape which is not obscured
>>by something else, and I don't want to calculate the shape which is my
>>shape minus that something else (which might be dynamic).
>
>Is this a common use case?

At least as common as float in HTML.

>   If not, perhaps you _should_ calculate the shape instead of forcing
> every UA implementor to have code to do so?

There are more users than user agent implementors. And implementation is
not hard.

>Just a question to be considered, though I'm sure that was done before
>this part of the specification was written.
>
>>flowRef decouples drawing from flowing, so it is needed almost in any
>>case when shapes differ in any way.
>
>So the idea here is that you can flow into multiple regions and then
>rearrange the regions in various ways later and that the flowing doesn't
>have to be aware of the rearranging?

Exactly. Rearranged or redrawn with various effects.

Peter