Re: CSS style sheets in SVG enable high and low contrast

"Jonathan Chetwynd" <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> A small number of SVG developers continue to consider that there is no
> role for CSS within SVG.
>
> The following example* enables the user to select high or low contrast  :
> http://www.peepo.co.uk/launch/index1.svg
> It is intended to hint at, rather than demonstrate the full potential
> available.

Jonathon, the exact same can be achieved in other ways without stylesheets
(especially in 1.2).  User stylesheets I think you agree are incompatibile
with SVG (well for certain documents they may be safe, but never as a
general case) therefore the only use of CSS is by the author.   Your example
is also a good reason of why removing CSS now would impact so few users, as
you note it only works in one currently nightly build of one user agent, it
doesn't even work in a beta product!   The CSS Working Group have shown us
one thing, the W3 see nothing wrong in changing specifications with errata,
losing backwards compatibility, and just removing whole loads of the spec.
The SVG WG should follow this lead, and remove CSS from SVG.

Jim.