Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 3:44:41 PM, Robin wrote:

RB> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>>Those are the precise people we do *not* want to put the burden of
>>>resolving this on. They will have to deal with uncooperative server
>>>administrators that'll refuse to let them control the character encoding
>>>because all they (think they) know about character encodings is that you
>>>have to provide one to avoid certain XSS attacks.
>>
>> Are you saying that the proposed registration would avoid that, i.e.,
>> that http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/utf8-or-iso-8859-1.svg must be
>> considered UTF-8 encoded by all implementations?

RB> Ideally yes. It is, after all, what the XML document says.

Its also how the actual document is encoded. ö is encodes as two bytes,
not one.

More interesting of course would be the reverse test - Björn, could you
set that one up too? Make the document be encoded in 8859-1, with an xml
encoding declaration of UTF-8 and an http header that sets the
non-existent charset parameter in the SVG media type to ISO-8859-1.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group