Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: vector effects

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 7:46:17 AM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Craig Northway wrote:
>>I agree with some of your earlier comments regarding the more complex
>>effects. I raised some objections with the working group. As Jon has
>>already mentioned, all proposed effects were included in the last call
>>draft, but pending comments from the community may get dropped.

BH> Well, that does not make much sense process-wise, Working Groups are
BH> supposed to get this right before last call, after last call they can
BH> only get dropped when identifying the features as at risk in the call
BH> for implementations and abusing that to look how many features survive
BH> is quite a bad practise. They can't be dropped between LC and CR, that
BH> would require another last call draft.

I suspect that is exactly what Craig means, that some features which
turn out to be too expensive can get dropped following CR feedback. The
basic vector effects architecture is sound, clean, and extensible; but
some operations in particular union and intersection may be too costly
and might be at risk.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group