Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>>Because otherwise, as I wrote in the comment, content will be handled
>>>inconsistenctly based on whether the UA supports the MIME type
>>>directly or just via RFC3023 support. (As seen, for example, with the
>>>W3C validator.)
>>
>>So, enforcing a broken behaviour upon SVG to be consistent with systems
>>that don't support SVG is a good idea? :)
>
> Enforcing interoperability is a good idea.

Except that that isn't interoperability, it's bug for bug comformance
which is different. I'd take a working tool over two broken ones any day.

If you disagree, take it to the TAG because we're sure sticking to their
recommendation:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/Overview.html#xml-media-types

> The issue of whether allowing
> encoding information to be included in the metadata channel instead of in
> the markup itself is a good idea or not is irrelevant; that ship sailed
> years ago, with the publication of RFC3023.

Well a new ship's up with the updated RFC 3023 that deals with all the
previous bugs.

> What matters at this juncture
> is making sure that implementations of SVG and XML processors in general
> parse SVG documents in the same way.

And the best way to achieve that is to not use charset parameters.

--
Robin Berjon