Re: SVG1.2

At 01:05 AM 11/23/2004 +0100, Jan-Klaas Kollhof wrote:

>Hello,
>
>There was no reply to my previous mail.
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2004Nov/0065.html
>
>The networking sections do need more content and details.
>
>in addition to the mail above:
>if an event is fired for the URLRequest it sould have a refference to the
>request object so one does not to save it somewhere in the code
>to work with it when the event is fired.

Events always have a target attribute (comes from events::Event) and it
will point to URLRequest.

>I'd like the responseText be part of the event object also the response
>headers.
>They are responses, and that's what the event represents teh server's
>response.
>responseText is not part of a request it is the result of it.

We'd like to keep compatibility with Mozilla/IE XMLHTTP where possible.

>I really want events for partial data arrival for URLRequest.
>This would be very useful for showing progress. And it would not be
>difficult to impl.

Yes, but we can extend it later. The points that you make here (and below)
are good, but we want to keep it simple for now.

>There should be some way to send binary data created by the script over
>the sockets and the URLRequest.
>This is a problem because EcmaScript only has strings or arrays to work with.
>A bytestream object would not be bad having something like feedByte(byte),
>feedInt16(int16), feedInt32(int32),...
>I guess I am getting out of the scope for SVG here.
>
>But there must be some way to tell how strings are to be sent (encoding)
>and how data is to be decoded when coming back.

Again, one step at a time. We would like to get easy-to-do stuff first.

>And please keep the same domain policy if you want but no restrictions on
>the ports.
>To have sockets is not useful if I can't use them but to make calls to an
>HTTP server.
>Unless of course I write a hybrid HTTP-Whatever-HowKnowsWhatSocket server.
>(Someday we will have only HTTP on prot, and all communication will be
>handled over HTTP on port 80.
>Then the day will come that we disable HTTP on port 80 because it is not
>safe ... )
>
>If we allow the user to open a file for upload or processing in the
>script, why not let the
>user do the same for saving data to files generated within the script
>using the same technique as opening a file?
>It would be just as save as opening a file.
>
>What about safe clipboard access.
>As discussed before by others as well:
>The user initiates a paste action as recognized by the UISystem the user
>is working in.
>E.g pressing Ctrl-V or selecting paste from a context menu.
>An event is fired and a Listener can now access the pasted data as part of
>the event object.
>The same for cut and copy. The Listner can set data as part of the event
>object.
>This is safe and will not allow any script to mess with the clipboard
>without the user specifically asking for it
>by initiating a cut/copy/paste action.

It is probably too late for these.

Peter