Re: Accessibility UAWG: contrast control

Will,

at this stage it's really important to gather evidence, so if you have
examples, let's see them.

traditional schemes such as white on black tend to be used for text.
(where text flows over graphics this may not always be helpful)
But do we have good examples of how illustrations and photographs can
be made more accessible by changing contrast?

my particular interest is symbols, so stroke width and opacity are
options supplied. 2 examples:
http://www.peepo.co.uk/launch/index.svg  change settings using the
hammer icon  asv3
http://www.peepo.co.uk/style/contrast.svg switch style sheets  mozSVG
native

RDF GUI schema should be helpful in defining what purpose the author
intended the content for, which should help guide the user.  for
instance as a default, borders or highlights should probably be
included in basic contrast changes such as white on black, whereas
illustrations or jpegs should not. try:
http://www.peepo.co.uk/temp/gui-schema

OS systems may also offer some contrast controls. however the current
mac beta complements all colours in white on black mode, which may not
be that helpful.

I use style sheets with classes as well as script sliders for finer
user control.
This seems to be forbidden in SVG, advice is not to try.

there is further info on the svg-developers thread which may be helpful.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd
http://www.peepo.co.uk     "It's easy to use"
irc://freenode/accessibility