RE: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

At 01:19 PM 11/3/2004 -0500, Doug Schepers wrote:

>Hi, Ian-
>
>Ian Hickson wrote:
>|
>| On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Robin Berjon wrote:
>| >
>| > Ever seen poetry laid out inside a shape? Ever seen ad text
>| following
>| > the shiny curves of the latest spacecraft? Ever seen some sombre
>| > lament about the passing of time animated as it falls
>| through an hourglass?
>| > *That* is what it's for. It's for text when used as graphics.
>|
>| All three of those examples are great examplies of documents
>| that need semantic markup.
>
>That seems like a stretch to me. What do any of those particularly need
>markup for? Much less the rather poor semantics of HTML...
>
>Are you arguing that:

>Has more semantics than:
>
><text><textPath xlink:href='#rocketCurve'>Fly me to the
>moon...</textPath></text>
>
>? I don't see how. Unless you're going to mark up your poetry with
>much more semantic content.

Well, if you want to use <metaphor> and <smile>, you probably also should
use <spacecraft> as well (not simply a drawing of spacecraft) and use
something like XSLT stylesheet to transform it into the final-form
SVG.  Mixing <svg:path> with <metaphor> does not seem to be particularly
appropriate.

Peter