Re: Towards resolution of SVG 1.2 Flowing text

At 03:26 PM 11/2/2004 -0500, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

>Chris Lilley wrote:

>>ROC> Then what exactly is the defined presentational behaviour of a ROC>
>>paragraph, and how does it differ from a DIV?
>>
>>paragraphs, like divs, are a block of text that starts on a new line and
>>whose following block of text also starts on a new line. This is why I
>>said they are mid way along the continuum.
>>
>Right OK, but if you agree SVG text is purely presentational and flowPara
>and flowDiv have identical presentation, then why not remove flowPara in
>favour of flowDiv?
>
>Rob

flowDiv can only be used on the top level (and there can be only a single
flowDiv per set of regions) and flowPara can only be used inside of the
flowDiv. flowDiv effectively switches from graphics layout to text layout
(similarly to svg:text element), flowPara acts more like a tspan. They are
quite different elements.

flowLine and flowPara perhaps could be made into a single element. I would
be against it because even in raw ASCII text with explicit line breaks this
difference is there (lines are separated by '\n' and paragraphs by '\n\n').
I think if ASCII can do it SVG should be allowed to do it too.

Peter