Re: SVG12: charset parameter for image/svg+xml

On Tuesday, November 2, 2004, 4:45:40 PM, MURATA wrote:

MM> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:03:17 +0100
MM> Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

>> I was able to discuss this with Murata-san in Tokyo at SVG Open, and he
>> agreed that the +xml convention, plus the deprecation of text/xml and
>> associated charset handling weirdness of required us-ascii fallback,
>> allows consistent handling

MM> No, I did not agree to drop the charset parameter.

What I said was that you agreed that there was consistent handling in
the case where there was no charset parameter.  Do you recall discussing
that over lunch? Jon was there, too.

We also discussed consistent handling of encoding among all media types;
you had earlier stated that this was particularly needed for simple
transcoders that did not know enough about xml not to break it. At that
meeting, I suggested (and you agreed) that the presence of the +xml
convention allowed such transcoders to reliably detect all xml media
types whether the precise media type was recognized or not.

I further suggested (and you seemed to agree) that two types of
processing were desirable:

a) (minimally) xml-aware transcoders - transcode, and update the xml
encoding declaration so that it is consistent
b) xml-unaware transcoders - not break xml well formednes, not transcode
xml
and a third type of processing was undesirable
c) xml unaware transcoders that take well formed documents and make them
malformed.

Transcoders already do something similar, for example they do not
attempt to transcode the bytes of JPEG images.

MM> I did agree to deprecate text/xml.

Yes, that part is already in the next draft (and the other text/* xml
types)

MM> I do believe that image/svg+xml should allow the charset parameter.

So we still have some discussion to do.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group