Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

At 04:39 PM 11/1/2004 -0500, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

>>Again, the only overlap that I see here is line breaking (which even for
>>rectangular shapes is not fully specified in CSS: not where you can
>>break, nor how you determine when exactly to break - and given resistance
>>from existing implementations - that part of CSS is unlikely to ever be
>>fully specified IMHO).
>>
>>Moreover, SVG WG specifically defined line breaking in such a way that it
>>is compatible with CSS and a single engine can be used to do line
>>breaking for both specs
>You seem to be arguing that CSS engines both *can* and *cannot* use the
>same line breaking code for SVG and CSS.

What I say is that there are differences and SVG rules are stricter and CSS
rules allow for more advanced features (such as authomatic hyphenation),
but that a single engine can do both.

>Anyway, I assure you that changing line breaking behaviour within
>reasonable limits is not a problem for Mozilla; we've done it before and
>we'll do it again. It doesn't appear to be something that Web authors make
>strong assumptions about. We'd be happy to accomodate SVG in this area.

Good.

>Though for the sake of future enhancements (hyphenation, etc) it would
>help if there was a standard way to decide where exact SVG rules were
>required, via a style property or some rule about SVG documents.

In the SVG 1.2 draft it is very clear when to follow SVG rules.

Peter