Re: On Working Group Membership - Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

"Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
>> And to be an editor of a specification published through a Working Group
>> there is a requirement be a member of the group (7.8 in the process doc)
>> so that sentence does not make sense, you cannot be both an editor and
>> not a member of the SVG Working Group - which I guess is why I've never
>> understood your previous corrections.
>
> I'm a member of the XBL Task Force, which takes 20% of my time, which
> satisfies my required commitment according to the SVG charter.

Could you explain how you've managed to fulfil your obligation of "being
familiar with the relevant documents of the Working Group, including minutes
of past meetings. "  when you said in your previous post that you hadn't
made yourself familiar with previous drafts and weren't even aware that a
vote to move last call happened!  Also the process doesn't make any
exception for 20% of your time, so whilst that may satisfy SVG charter
obligations on delivering work, that does not offer you a get out.

It seems to me your membership of the SVG Working Group (good to see you now
admit you are a member, unlike your previous "corrections") is deliberately
designed to circumvent the W3 Process Rules, and you had no intention of
fulfilling the obligations of membership of the working group.  Whilst this
may get around 7.8, it just brings you into violation of 6.2.1.7, but I
guess that would only risk your good standingness, which would've meant you
wouldn't've been able to vote in any case.

I do not think W3 process is taken seriously enough (look at the number of
WG failing their heartbeat requirements, or tracking errors in
specifications) and it is a concern, for a member of a working group to not
feel any point in tracking the documents published, shows to me contempt for
the process document, rather than any actual attempt to follow it.

Jim.