Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

"Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote in message

> Text, especially when there is more than just one line's worth, is
> content. Content should be marked up in a semantically-rich fashion for
> accessibility reaosns. HTML is the language for this.

HTML contains virtually no semantics for text here, your examples above used
DIV, SPAN, they're semantically empty.

> It is acceptable for a specification to introduce simple alternatives for
> complex specifications (for example, the way CSS2 allows authors to
> perform simple 'text-shadow' effects without using the full SVG model)
> but  when it comes to reinventing large parts of other specifications,
> one has to draw the line.

The relevant parts of text flow, are not the text, but the flowing to
arbitrary shapes, this doesn't exist anywhere else, your proposal does not
seem particularly neat, and re-uses no semantics from HTML - DIV and SPAN
being empty of semantics, or requires all semantics from HTML, since as
you've noted in the past requiring a complete implementation of one spec in
another is inappropriate, it puts too high a burden on implementors (which
is why CSS2 putting text-shadow in was reasonable)

I agree flowPara is unnecessary, you can see my full comments later, but I
do not see the point of having html:div and html:span re-used as they offer
nothing at all but a proliferation of namespaces without any sound
motivation, or would you argue that html:span be better than svg:text too?

> Several people have already reviewed my proposal, it's actually
> pretty simple. I have no doubts that the SVG working group will be quite
> capable of reviewing my proposal.

I understand from your blog Ian, that you are a member of the SVG WG, so
it's up to you to review it as much as anyone else, from your comments it's
obvious that you feel the SVG 1.2 is not ready for Last Call, could you
explain your reasons for abstaining from the vote to move to LC rather than
voting against?  It might help us understand the motivations for these
comments, and the long delay in sending comments against parts of the spec
that have been unchanged in many months.

> My proposal is a simple extension to the existing CSS
> model so that any existing CSS-styled content can be poured into an SVG
> shape. For example, it would be possible to use my proposal to mould any
> existing HTML Web page using an SVG shape.

The requirement to have the text styled by CSS is an undue burden, there are
very few SVG implementations that also do CSS (not surprisingly, it's
optional, and not very useful to svg authors)  Personally I would rather the
dependency in CSS be removed entirely, there's no motivation that I can see
for having a rendering language styled by another rendering language - one
layer is plenty.

> On the other hand, the SVG 1.2 solution forces HTML+CSS implementors to
> implement the full SVG model, and doesn't provide any way for existing
> content to be restyled using SVG features.

You're working from the premise that SVG+HTML+CSS is a goal of the SVG 1.2
specification, that's a compound documents issue, and we can see from the
compound documents charter that this is some way off, they've only just
started work.  Currently this isn't specified at all, there are no shipping
implementations that attempt this, and all the current attempts have run
into considerable problems.  I do not think SVG1.2 is the right place to
suddenly decide to fix these issues - there's a whole working group
currently doing this.

Cheers,

Jim.