Re: Comments on SVG 1.2 WD-6

At 04:16 PM 4/2/2004 -0500, Thomas DeWeese wrote:
>[snip]
>

>11.15 More rendering hints
>
>    It is unclear to me what the intended difference between 'cache'
>    and 'static' is.  Can you provide an example where a UA would act
>    differently between 'cache: true' and 'static: true'?
>
>    Is the intent that offscreen images only be created for
>    "cache:true; static:true"?

In short you can determine caching granularity with this information. For
instance, cache="true" on a group can try to cache individual element
renderings (say tesselations if I am using OpenGL to render it), so it is
still easy to rerender the group if some elements move around or change
(since cache="true" does not imply that elements in the group would not
change). On the other hand, static="true" could cache the group as rendered
offscreen ("texture" in OpenGL terms) and simply rerender that offscreen
from scratch every time something changes.