Re: SVG 1.2 Notes:

On Sat 20 Mar 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> 5.2.1 focusable, this should presumably default to true for Extended links
> element xa

Yes.

> 11.12 overlay-host content - How is this effected by stylesheet inheritance?
> do styles inherit into the overlay-host region?

Yes, style inherits on the tree, not on the drawing.

> 11.14 Highlighting

I agree completely.

> 16.1 "SVG 1.2 adds the xlink:href attribute to the title, desc and metadata
> elements, allowing them to reference of external content. In each case the
> URI must point to data that can be included as content of the referencing
> element. "
>
> This seems like an unnecessary  restriction, why can't I provide an HTML or
> content negotiated resource providing detailed descriptions.

My answer was going to be "Why can't you?", but then I realised that
you're not allowed to have foreign namespaces in <title>, at least according
to the DTD (which may not be normative this time around).

I argued once for foreign stuff inside <title> and <desc> but
I lost, and I can't remember why. I'm sure there was a good
reason.

> Also limiting
> us to a text or XML serialisation of Metadata seems unreasonable.  I can
> somewhat understand the motivation, but my main reason for wanting
> xlink:href on these elements is to reuse existing metadata and descriptions,
> not simply to have it out of band.

Sorry, I don't understand your point. Can you try again please?

Dean