Re: SVG 1.2: Something Missing?

Hi Alexander,

On 9 mars 04, at 18:16, Alexander Adam wrote:

> So is there any place on the current SVG 1.2 Draft where something like
> this is mentioned or handled? I imagined something like this (just as a
> theoretical sample):
>
> <elementDef ...>
>   <prototype>
>     { Visual Stuff }
>   </prototype>
>   <script ..>{Script Stuff}</script>
>   <properties>
>     <property name="max" type="SVGLength" default="100"/>
>   </properties>
> </elementDef>

We've got something along those lines in the next SVG 1.2 draft,
although different. You would have code like this:

<elementDef ...>
   <prototype>
     { Visual Stuff }
   </prototype>
   <script ..>{Script Stuff}</script>
   <traitDef name="max" type="SVGLength" /> <!-- syntax may differ in
the next draft -->
</elementDef>

So no actual <properties> container and a property is a "trait"
leveraging functionalities described in section 17.3 in the current SVG
1.2 public draft. There is no "default", that is something you would
have to define in the XML schemas. The point of a traitDef is to notify
the SVG implementation that there is an attribute available on this
element (or on any element if <traitDef> is a child of <extensionDefs>)
that is animatable via animation elements, and has typed access in the
DOM via the traits DOM interfaces.

Clearer now?

Antoine
--