Re: 3.2 Editable Text Fields

At 02:53 PM 3/5/2004 +1100, Cameron McCormack wrote:

>How will editable text elements which have tspans and trefs be handled?
>For example:
>
>   <text editable="true">
>     Some <tspan fill="red">text</tspan>
>   </text>
>
>If the cursor is just before the "t" of "text", will subsequently typed
>characters be inserted at the fron of the tspan's text node of the end of
>the text's first text node?

I think that just like in most rich text editors it depends on how you got
there.
 From the DOM perspective these are two distinct positions, so you can always
change it the way you like from the script. The idea is that editable text is
more or less customizable building block, not a complete solution on its own.

>   <text editable="true">
>   </text>
>
>If characters are typed, what colour do they become?
>
>   <defs>
>     <text id="t">Referenced text</text>
>   </defs>
>   <text editable="true">
>     <tref xlink:href="#t"/>
>   </text>
>
>What happens if you edit this text element?  Does the corresponding
>def'd text get modified?  If so, what if the tref referred to a text
>element in another document?  What (if anything) is the meaning of having
>editable="true" on the text in the defs element?

I think editable with trefs should be illegal.

>Another issue is with xml:space.  In these examples there is the default
>value of xml:space="default".  In this case, whenever the user types
>a space into the editable text element, will no change occur to the
>rendering of the text element?

Yes, we need to clean it up. I'll raise these two points as an issue in WG.

Peter