From: Bob Jamison <rjamison@lincom-asg.com>
To: Inkscape Devel List <inkscape-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Re: [OT] Re: Inkscape inclusion on w3 svg site
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:08:14 -0600

After placing a few SVG images on XHTML docs, I would say that he is
correct.  For such things the size is less important than the viewBox=""
setting.

I would suggest that for an interim solution, that when an SVG doc
is written, the <svg> attribute be added:

viewBox="0 0 width height"

...where the width and height are the size of the page, but in
SVG coordinates x 1.25   (1/0.8)

Then we can tell people that for the time being, they can
just keep their drawing inside the rectangle, and
that is what will be seen on a web page.

Here is the RFE:
=========================
Hi

Since your objective is to be an SVG editor it would be
great to ditch the page-oriented editing canvas concept.

SVGs often have no width and height (scalable :) set on
the outermost svg element (they default to 100%), but
specify a viewBox.

Those SVGs should be handled, eg in the following way:

Display the SVG at something like 80% of the editing
canvas window (the default 80% can be changed through
zooming out or in), then provide a grey
half-transparent grey layer (not an SVG object)
overlaying the area that lies outside of the viewBox.

Inside the viewBox there is the graphic itself, and
outside of this rectangle is visible the area that will
be invisible in SVG viewers/players (thus it could be
greyed out a bit). But it's part of the SVG, and should
be fully editable (it becomes visible in SVG
viewers/players when the user zooms out).

The viewBox rectangle's edges can be grabbed and moved;
the viewBox is editable.

Tobi