A short list of suggestions for SVG support in TV

Open for comments and/or suggestions.
Thank you for your consideration.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lilley [mailto:chris@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 3:09 PM
To: James Bentley
Cc: 'www-svg@w3.org'
Subject: Re: The 'hanlder' element

On Friday, July 23, 2004, 7:49:44 PM, James wrote:

JB> You are correct, I am confusing externalResourcesRequired with
JB> requiredFeatures.
JB> However, this statement:
JB> "Only feature strings defined in the Feature String appendix are
allowed."

requiredFeatures describes features listed in the spec.
requiredExtensions is for things not in the spec so is open ended.

JB> may be a bit too restrictive. and requiredExtensions has this verbiage:
JB> "The requiredExtensions attribute defines a list of required language
JB> extensions."

JB> I'm wondering if this is sufficient to indicate whether or not JPEG,
MPEG,
JB> DVR, VOD, DOCSIS, TCP and other "resources" are available. I understand
JB> that "resources" is an overloaded term. I suppose my confusion is a
JB> combination
JB> of "resources" overloaded meaning

Resources has the same meaning as in the Architecture of the World Wide
Web document. (Strictly, resource representations).

Availability of codecs etc would not be 'resources' in this sense.

JB> I was assuming that this was the proper place to indicate "resources"
that
JB> are required for
JB> "proper rendering", such as JPEG decoder.

No. Its to indicate that, say, a particular JPEG image is needed for
proper rendering, proper in the sense that the content creator would
rather nothing was displayed at all than that the SVG was displayed
without it.

JB>  I can also, falsely, assume that
JB> this may extend to
JB> presence of RTSP or DSM-CC for streamable media control (albeit this is
JB> introducing
JB> implementation detail - but it will be required to account for differing
VOD
JB> implementations).

Availability of particular transports is not currently addressed in the
SVG specification. I can see that you would want to test for it. On the
other hand, its not a language extension - the SVG language itself is
not extended, as the scheme part of a URI is not constrained by the SVG
spec.

Yes, it can. See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt

JB> But I'm not sure on DSMCC

I don't know what DSM-CC is, can you give me a pointer?

JB> and this has no bearing on digital-video-recording (DVR). Perhaps a
JB> 'metadata'
JB> or 'foreignObject' element could describe the requirements - then
JB> 'requiredExtensions'
JB> can simply reference the object (I'm including 'metadata' because it
does
JB> not require a
JB> bounding box).  Is this the intent of the spec? A bounding box (viewBox,
JB> viewPort,
JB> etc.) would be necessary for images, and may be helpful for streamed
media.

Streamed media would use video (if visual and requiring a viewbox) or
audio (if not).

JB> We use an image that is similar to a bitmap, with much less header
JB> information. It is compressed in a proprietary manner.
JB> Unfortunately, this image has been in use for years - as we advance
JB> to using new technologies, we must be willing to accept this format
JB> to support backward compatibility. I suppose we could call it a
JB> bitmap, but that would ceratinly confuse people - being that its
JB> proprietary, I don't know that we would release the compression
JB> scheme and format, even though the image may be short lived (approx.
JB> 5years). Any suggestions? Is 'foreignObject' a good place for this
JB> extension?

The fact that it is proprietary is irrelevant, and you do not have to
release the schema to get it a MIME type. In fact, for a proprietary
vendor media type you can get one registered in a couple of days.

You would use the image or video elements as appropriate. No extension
of SVG language is needed for that. A switch that has an image with a
URI for your image format (and a test) and another image as a fallback
(eg a JPEG or PNG) would be a good way forward.

experience.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group