Re: Comments on SVG 1.2 from a Gecko developer

>"Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org <mailto:robert@ocallahan.org?Subject=Re:%20Comments%20on%20SVG%201.2%20from%20a%20Gecko%20developer&In-Reply-To=%3Ccckki9$siq$1@sea.gmane.org%3E&References=%3Ccckki9$siq$1@sea.gmane.org%3E>> wrote in message
>>>
>>>And we would use be able to use this in XHTML user agents?
>>>
>> Sure, at least those that support SVG too.
>
>So really it would be an SVG specific part of CSS - a sort of CSS SVG
>Profile?

You could call it an CSS module describing shaped flows which happens to
depend on SVG.

>> You could have non-CSS syntax to express the same thing.
>
>Right, that's what we've got... in the flowText proposals, I'm missing
>something now.  so you're actually complaining that there isn't a CSS
>representation of the current SVG flowText system - I'm sure people could
>knock one up, I'm just not really sure of the value?

The SVG flowText system describes the flow shape *and* markup for
describing various kinds of text and line properties and how they are
flowed. It's the latter chunk that worries me; the part that describes
the shape does not overlap anything in CSS and is quite simple anyway.

>>>Could you give an example of the syntax used to animate a flow-shape
>>>property in a CSS stylesheet?
>>>
>> Use the CSS property I mentioned above, and then animate the SVG element
>> however you wish.
>
>So you couldn't animate which element described the flowText was contained
>in,

You mean you want to be able to set the flow-shape to several different
shapes in turn? I think that's fairly low on the use-case list but it's
still easy, just use the existing DOM features for manipulating styles:

element.style.flowShape = "shape(#myshape2)";

You can't do this in SVG 1.2 anyway without using the DOM.

Rob

--
Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word