Re: [svg-developers] <use> an external file

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> Dean,
>
> Gifs, bitmaps, jpgs, png, MSvector are all external files, why is SVG
> different?

     It isn't in SVG Tiny (aimed at cellphones) all these files
would have to be included 'inline' (data protocol).

> Is there another graphics format that isn't linked to externally?
>
> Can we please have an explanation of what the particular issue is with
> respect to SVG?

    Use (especially external use) is difficult to implement properly
because all the CSS stylesheets are the ones from the referenced
document but CSS property inheritance is "as though" the referenced
content is a child of the use element.

    Add to this the fact that modifying the referenced content must
update all use instances and you have a real nightmare to implement
(ASV 6.0 is the only implementation to get it right yet for dynamic).

    But I think this misses the point, from a spec perspective
use of external elements is required (except for tiny which doesn't
require support for any external resources).  It is the
implementations that are the problem here (now it might be argued
that SVG 1.0 should have made implementation easier but that is
a rather pointless argument to make today).