Re: SVG12: image/svg+xml gzip requirements

Thomas DeWeese wrote:
>    But this is a case of inconsistent meta-data.  The sender says
> that the data is not encoded, but the content indicates that it is
> GZIP encoded.

How, exactly, does the content indicate this?  Via byte-sniffing and guessing
that some byte sequences correspond to certain data types?

I'd think we would want to avoid that mess.  Otherwise, why bother with MIME
types and encoding types at all?

Or put another way, given the inconsistency between the data and the MIME type,
why do we assume the MIME type is right and that data is "wrong", but given an
"inconsistency" between the data and the Content-Encoding/Transfer-Encoding
header (in quotes, because there isn't any -- the lack of an encoding header
just says the data is not encoded; after that it can be any type it wishes) we
decide that the *-Encoding header is implied by the data?

This all sounds to me like an attempt to legislate existing broken UA and
content provider behavior into technically being correct....

-Boris