Re: LC Comment - Script & Progressive Rendering / Multiple Pages

"Jon Ferraiolo" <jon.ferraiolo@adobe.com> wrote in message
> "Any scripting logic associated with a given <script> element is executed
> at most once. Script execution happens just after the "load" event occurs
> for the given <script> element. (Exception: if an ancestor has
> externalResourcesRequired=true, then script execution happens on the
> "load" event for that ancestor.) Removing, inserting or altering script
> elements once the document has been loaded has no effect."

No, I don't like this either, the exception I think is wrong, and is not
consistent with any other mark-up language with scripting.   An inline
script is not an external resource so it should always be executed as load.
The one exception to executed immediately is when an
externalResourcesRequired="false" exists on.  This should be executed
whenever, dependant on the user agent but obviously the load event of an
ancestor can only fire once it's loaded.

Something like:

Any scripting logic associated with a given <script> element is executed  at
most once. Script execution happens just after the "load" event occurs for
the given <script> element. (Exception: if an ancestor has
externalResourcesRequired="false" then the user agent can delay execution of
the script and continue parsing/rendering of the elements) Removing,
inserting or altering script elements once the document has been loaded has
no effect.

Is what I believe would be appropriate. Basically it's using
externalResourcesRequired like the defer attribute of HTML: <URL:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/scripts.html#adef-defer >

Cheers,

Jim.