Re: instanceRoot on svg USE element

Hi Jim,

On Friday, Sep 5, 2003, at 00:45 Australia/Canberra, Jim Ley wrote:
> Since we have so little implementation experience, and no released
> implementations that I know of, of instanceRoot on the USE element,
> would it
> not be a good idea to unify this with the shadowTree mechanism of RCC,
> basically having USE have a shadowTree attribute the same as non SVG
> namespaced elements.
>
> This would allow us to have a smaller number of methods to get between
> shadow trees and the real trees so are code can be more generic.

In the case of <use> it isn't really a shadow tree, it is a shared
instance. If you go to the instance root and change something, then
it will change for all references, whereas a shadow tree will only
change that particular copy. So, I think it is a good idea to
keep it under a different name to avoid confusion.

Dean