Re: [svg-developers] Re: SVG Widgets vs Native Widgets

Gavin,
This is a very good example of why you *sometimes* want UI controls such as
popup menus to use native platforms facilities. (Kurt sent an email
explaining why other times you don't want native widgets.) In some cases,
as you point out, not only do you need the native look, but you all need
the native behavior. It would take a lot of JavaScript to simulate all
possible look&feel combinations.

Unfortunately, in some environments, native UI controls are only feasible
when your web page is both highly constrained (e.g., all widgets must be
upright and on top) and with flexible layout (because you don't know at
author time the dimensions of native widgets). SVG goes against both the
upright constraint (e.g., with SVG, you can rotate anything, including
widgets) and the flexible layout requirement (with SVG, most things are
absolutely positioned and sized).

The SVG Working Group recognizes both the high desirability and the
technical difficulty of allowing native widgets within SVG. For now, the
Working Group is postponing work on the native widget issue because we have
plenty on our plate already, and it seems like we will have to figure out
how to add dynamic layout to SVG in order to make native widgets work.
Maybe the answer requires something like a combined HTML+SVG facility where
the HTML sometimes plays in an upright window, and only in the upright HTML
window would you have native widgets.

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Member SVG Working Group