Re: SVG schema: Relax NG or not?

[ personal opinion ]

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> Comparing this RNG modularization to the DTD modularization though,
> its also apparent how much cruft is simply not needed because the
> namespace support in RNG is simple and elegant whereas the namespace
> hacks that one uses in DTDs are a succession of flaming hoops to jump
> though.

Indeed.

> TR> Perhaps Relax NG is a candidate format for the main SVG schema?
>
> Yes; because then we can form XHTML2+SVG profiles with ease.

That's part of the reason why I started to explore RELAX NG -
an XHTML2+MathML+SVG schema can be as simple as this one:

    http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/schemas/rng/xhtml2-math-svg.rng

Compare it with its DTD counterpart:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG-20020809/#driver

And most of the known limitations derived from DTD's inability to
handle namespaces just go away:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG-20020809/#bugs

But frankly I don't expect everyone who wants to mix their own
vocabulary with XHTML2 would move to RELAX NG, that's why the HTML
WG plans to provide XHTML2 schemas in RELAX NG, XML Schema and DTD
so that people can choose one that suits their needs.  Or better still,
I personally hope that the Document Schema Definition Languages (DSDL)
could eventually give us possibility to validate different "islands"
with different kind of schema languages, e.g. RELAX NG for XHTML2 part
and XML Schema for SVG part.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org