Re: element visibility only within the group, not whole document?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:08:37 -0500, Mitch Germansky <mbg@cs.rutgers.edu>
wrote:

>so, you are suggesting that the method i am currently using of changing
>visibility in <set> animations for each <line> is the way to go?

It's impossible to say for sure without knowing in more detail what
you're trying to achieve, but my instinct would be to say no in any
case--using animation features for something that has nothing to do with
animation probably isn't a good idea, for performance reasons if nothing
else. If you're simply trying to erase things, then why not just delete
them from the SVG tree? If you're trying to implement some kind of
undo/redo functionality, then perhaps the thing to do is to prune the
nodes from the tree and hold them elsewhere in a document fragment node
or something similar.

>being new in this arena, can you point me to some resources for doing
>transformations for a set of <line>s to a small number of bezier curves?
> my platform is java batik.

I'm afraid I can't help you much in that regard; it's not something I've
ever had to do myself. If you do a Google search on "line smoothing"
you'll get lots of good hits (along with lots of hits having to do with
getting rid of facial wrinkles...).

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/