Re: Binary-coded version of SVG?

Tayeb LEMLOUMA wrote:
> Chris, the objective of the binarization is to provide a compact binary
> representation of the original markup (SVG in our case) in order to reduce the
> size of the transmitted content especially in limited wireless networks.

That's one use case. Are you working specifically in this area?

> Now two questions arise:
>
> 1- Is the binarization of the markup is necessary, thought that WAP models do
> not know a great success?

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but while WBXML was moslty a
failure, there are other ways of binarising documents that can be used. It all
depends on what you call "success" :)

> 2- If yes, do we need a new binarization specific to SVG?

I think that anything *completely* specific to SVG would be a mistake. It would
have some utility for SVG Tiny content, but it would soon encounter arbitrary
XML. And I'm not getting into "details" such as interoperability. Imho the best
approach is to use something generic, optimised for SVG in an open manner (but
then I'm biased).

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/