Re: Question on the purpose of SVG

"Damien Bezborodow" <drbezborodow@webpathways.com> wrote in message
news:001101c3529f$d1f1ac60$0700a8c0@DAMO...
> To the SVG Development Team,
>
> I am very excited about SVG and can't wait for Internet
> Explorer to support it and for the final verison of SVG to
> be released.

I imagine that we're some distance away from a final version, 6 months at
least from SVG 1.2 and then there's lots more interesting things scheduled
for SVG 2.0, so even if that's the final version, you're looking at 2
years - why exactly do you want a FINAL version anyway?  There's nothing to
stop you using SVG 1.1 right now.

> This sounds an awful lot similar
>to Shockwave Flash. I believe that SVG has the potential to
>overtake Flash.

They're relatively unrelated, they're both vector formats, but they have
very different strengths and weaknesses, it's a shame they're so often
discussed as competitors, when in reality they sit well together, the
overlap being relatively minimal.

Sound video already exist in the SVG 1.2 draft, and there are even
implementations which do the job.

Jim.