Re: Hyperlinks in Status Bar?

Hi-

I agree with Jim, this is a UA issue; I'd like to see this feature myself,
since it conforms to behavior that people have come to expect. That being
said, there are ways to do it in ASV3 right now, using scripting.

1) Simply write to window.status on mousemove (mouseover doesn't persist
long enough, so you have to use mousemove, which continually refreshes the
message). I have an example here:
http://www.schepers.cc/testbed/statusBarLink.svg
(this sample also changes the title bar, though oddly, not locally, only
when run from a server...)

2) Make your own status bar analog, which will show document state
information (say, on a bar running along the bottom of the image); some SVG
maps I've seen use this.

3) Reveal the information in a tooltip or context menu on mouseover or other
action; of course, you'd have to use script to do this, but there are many
tooltip/context-menu implementations out there (I have some myself). One
advantage to this approach that was pointed out at SVG Open was in reference
to an SVG CAD program, which presented multiple link URI options to the user
on rightclick --all the links relevant to the given object are shown on a
list, and the user selects whichever they like. This is particularly
relevant for complex XLink link types. Again, this might be a nice feature
to see in a UA, where the context menu does this automatically (maybe even
giving the option to open in the same or a new window)

Regards-
-Doug