Re: SVG 1.2 General feedback

is this cworth@handhelds.org ?

>  I've [Carl Worth] been running xsvg on the tests from the W3C SVG conformance
>  suite. For the tests which pass I have been posting source SVG files,
>  xsvg results and the reference images at:
>
>        http://keithp.com/~cworth/svg/conformance/

There's interesting stuff, like

http://keithp.com/~cworth/svg/conformance/rendering-orderGr-BE-01-xsvg.png
etc

Perhaps you or Carl want to submit result tables for inclusion in the
result table for SVG1.1? (I'm not sure what the requirements are though;
perhaps there needs to be some release ... but since the code seems to
be available via CVS, it should be OK)

> The purpose of this mailing list is to discuss SVG support for the X
> Window System.

Really exciting! That means SVG might get deeply incorporated in Linux etc?

> Just imagine for a second that Windows GDI API is capable to render SVG files,
> so that no SVG plugin for MS IE or Netscape is required.
> And you will get an idea what I am speaking about.

Wow.

> I am working on "content" part at the moment (SVG icons).
> You can see some details at:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/svg-icons/

Yep, I saw your site; keep up the good work!

> SVG sources are available upon request,

... freely available, online, would be better :)

> I can just mention that I tested them
> (in addition to renderers on Linux) with Adobe SVG plugin on WIndows, and
> they are rendered ok.

In addition, I suggest to validate the SVG documents, with at least one
good validator (eg libxml's xmllint).

> |   but
> |   those libs are not ready yet.
>
> All SVG renderers are "not-ready-yet".

Well sure, but you quoted yourself :)

> For example, Adobe SVG plugin freezes my WIndows from time to time.

Please submit bug reports at
http://www.adobe.com/svg/feedback/bugreport.html

> |  Are there viewers/browsers/players in the works using these libs?
>
> * xsvg is X-based (XFree86-based) viewer/renderer using libsvg and libxrsvg.

Is there a homepage for this viewer?

Again: it would be great to see an xsvg column in the SVG1.1 test suite
results table (to be linked from http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/ )

> * GNOME2's Eye of Gnome (image viewer) and  Nautilus2 utilize librsvg2 to
> render SVG in GNOME/GTK environment
> * there is a 'ksvgtopng' application (part of kdelibs from KDE 3.1) which
> converts SVG to PNG. It shares a lot of code with KSVG.

It's really great to hear that so much is going on :)

> One of advantage this can provide is hardware-accelerated rendering (in
> particular, for SVG).

This might become even more significant as soon as animation is supported.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/