Re: SVG 1.2 General feedback

Thomas E Deweese wrote:
> JL> 2.1 A default rendering would be very nice, it's not always
> JL> desirable to spend time developing a UI widget, and it is best for
> JL> understanding if we can have consistency between different
> JL> applications where it's appropriate.  I also like the idea that
> JL> there's a stable default rendering that users who don't understand
> JL> a particular authors scheme can "switch to"
>
>     It doesn't come across well in the draft, but the largest issue
> here is that this pushes the WG to develop software.  This is not
> something that is generally the domain of standards organizations.
> Who will develop and perhaps more importantly maintain the default
> implementation?  Handle bug reports, etc.  Obviously, if the question
> is a simple do you want to have a default rendering or always have to
> write your own the answer will always be give me a default rendering
> (after all I can then decide not to use it).  But the real question is
> do you want the resources of the working group devoted to the writing
> of an SVG widget set or any of a number of competing issues?

Not to suggest that the WG should spend time writing software, but it is
not all that unusual for standard bodies to produce reference software.

To what degree do you reckon would specifying this require a genuine
implementation? Could it not be "sufficiently" specified with static images?

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway