Re: [OT] HTML (was: Re: Tinier SVG)

Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Thursday, November 14, 2002, 12:28:33 PM, Tobias wrote:
>
> TR> AndrewWatt2001@aol.com wrote:
>
>>>Isn't it the case that HTML development has just stopped (at
>>>least at W3C)?
>>>
> TR> I didn't know that. Can you point me to some W3C resource stating this?
>
> TR> Or do you mean that there will be no HTML4.01+?
>
> Yes.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ -> "Latest version of HTML:"
points to http://www.w3.org/TR/html/ which points to XHTML1.0.

So it seems to me as if HTML development has not stopped at W3C, which
is what was stated in the post.

Is there some roadmap or other document clarifying all this?

> Third option:
>
> Or do you mean that HTML clients stopped evolving in about 2000 and
> that all further HTML/XHTML/XML-related development has had no effect
> on them?
>
> To which the answer is yes, on the desktop.

He said that "HTML development has just stopped (at least at W3C)". W3C,
not implementers.

But I agree that it's very sad that the most popular browser in version
6 still doesn't support XHTML. Netscape/Mozilla and Opera have pretty
good support; I'm not sure though if they stopped in 2000, and if they
are interested in XHTML2. Mozillanians are working on implementing
several XML specs (MathML etc); I think it's unfair to say that didn't
do any XML related implementation development since two years.

Again:

Sure there isn't enough support in browsers for XHTML and other XML
specs/technologies, and sure I'd be happy if that would change.

Regarding the further development of HTML at the W3C; I don't say I know
what the definitions and roadmaps are, but I rather would be interested
in (links to) clarifying documents.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/