Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

Tantek wrote:
> I apologize for sounding rude, but this sounds like you are fairly new to
> the web and web technologies, and are fairly unaware of many uses of them.

You're right, you're rude.  You're also wrong.

This kind of bullshit is why most people really don't speak up and give
feedback on these types of forums.  Instead of having technical discussions,
every talk -- about specifications and languages! -- devolves to personal
attacks and attempts to discredit "the opposition."

Within this one post I'm told that unless I can do the same work that
takes a working group months to propose -- and that work will be shot
down, of course, and everyone knows it! -- I can't point out flaws or
describe what I'd like to see in a system.

I'm told that there's no way that X11 support will be removed, because
it already exists in SVG, and somehow criticizing those color choices
is a slap in the face to SVG people and will break all sorts of SVG
implementations.  The powerful SVG has spoken, and all of W3C must
listen -- or else you'll be insulted.

And here I'm dismissed as a newbie.  Clearly, I know nothing about system
colors, accessibility, longdesc, or accesskey.  Why?  Because Tantek
says so.  Nevermind that Tantek apparently has no idea who _I_ am; I
am clearly full of shit and talking out of my ass about Web accessibility
in my newbieness, because he doesn't know me from Adam.  Right.  Whatever,
man.

I don't see an overwhelming need to establish my own credentials --
because this will turn into another dick-waving comparison which is
all-too-common on this list.  If you want to know who I am, and you
don't, drop me a note.  For the record, I have no clue who Tantek is;
that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

None of this, you'll notice, addresses whether or not CSS3 should
contain references to the X11 colors.  I believe it shouldn't.  Feel
free to make personal attacks on me!

--Kynn