Re: [svg-developers] Suggestion for SVG

On Thursday, July 4, 2002, 2:53:17 AM, Stephen wrote:

SH> (sent to: www-svg@w3.org, 4/7/2002)

SH> Hi,

SH> I have been investigating ways of showing a font symbol at a
SH> point. The marker definition can not be applied so I have had to
SH> use a text element with a single character This works except that
SH> I want the centre of the text char to be on the point (not the
SH> bottom left).

If you are using a single character, its sounds as if a symbol is what
you really want.

SH> I have experimented with the baseline-shift and
SH> text-anchor style properties and I am getting ok results, but as
SH> soon as I apply a rotation to the text element I have to change
SH> these properties to try to get the char centred on the point (it
SH> is not always possible, I can provide examples if need be). Can I
SH> suggest that there be an addition to the dtd to allow for a text
SH> anchor-point (similar to the concept of the label point in GIS
SH> applications). It could have the following options:
SH> centre,lowerleft,left,upperleft,lowerright,right,upperright,bottom,top
SH> and these could correspond to the location of the char or char
SH> string in relation to it's defining x,y position.

It sounds rather as if you are trying to re-invent the symbol and use
elements? Or do these really have to be text strings?

SH> I have also found that the style or class of a marker (in defs)
SH> can not inherit the class/style of the element that references it.
SH> This is frustrating

Yes, we know.  CSS does not really have the option of inheriting over
a link, it only does inheritance down the tree structure.

SH> since, for example, it forces me to create
SH> multiple markers that are identical in every respect except colour
SH> just so my polyline line elements can have arrowheads that are the
SH> same colour as the line. I feel that it would be great if I could
SH> give the class/style property attributes the inherit value and
SH> thus only have one marker def for each type of unique marker
SH> shape.

Hmm - CSS3 introduces an 'inherit' value; perhaps an 'inherit-link'
value (or some such) would cover this case?