Re: Patterns and Clipping (Adobe SVG Plug-In)

Vincent and Andrew,

Thanks for the replies. In return:

At 4:18 AM -0500 11/5/01, AndrewWatt2001@aol.com wrote:
>The documentation for Adobe SVG Viewer RC1 indicates that external
>files are not supported for the <use> element.

I am not using extern files with <use>.

I define my pattern with <defs> just prior to using it (all in one file).

Does anyone have an example of an SVG file with a visible overflow
pattern that works with the Adobe SVG plug-in?

At 9:53 AM +0100 11/5/01, Vincent Hardy wrote:
>Does your export work with Batik as you expected?

Batik generates the output I expect.

At 9:53 AM +0100 11/5/01, Vincent Hardy wrote:
>You tool seem really
>great and it would be nice to have the SVG export you want: looking
>at your product description, I understand why patterns with overflow
>are important to you.

Thanks. It would be nice if, with SVG, you could specify patterns
whose generating translations are not perpendicular (although I may
be able to work around it with skewed patterns). If overflow causes
problems (or is not implemented) for common browsers, I could work
around it, at the expense of slightly larger files.

I haven't looked through the SVG documentation much, but I do wonder
if the output from using patterns with visible overflow is
well-defined. (Is the order of rendering elements of a pattern
defined? What should happen when an element of a pattern overlaps
another instance of itself? Tess doesn't run into this as all of its
elements are 100% opaque and are a single colour.)

Jeff