RE: Lingua Franca of the Web - Will SVG replace HTML?

> From:	Eric van der Vlist [SMTP:vdv@dyomedea.com]
>
> Isn't this very argument a proof of the interest of SVG that is, unlike
> the graphic formats we knew before, a graphic format that keeps text
> stored as text and thus a good compromise between these two statements ?
[DJW:]
Keeping text as text is very old.  Off the top of my head,
I can think of xfig, pic, PostScript and PDF.  The PDF spec
even encourages people to ensure that they do microspacing
by stretching long runs, not on individual characters, even
if PDF created from Word documents tends to have individually
placed characters.