Re: SVG & XPointer - When I write SVG code can I be sued?

Rigo,

First let me thank you for taking time to comment.

Second, my conclusions on this (taking into account off-list email) are

1. That the intention of W3C and Sun was to say, "Guys don't worry! Nobody is
going to sue you for using XPointer" (and by extension SVG).

2. The way that good intention was expressed was verbose, opaque, convoluted
and confusing

3. The XPointer WD and the Sun "Terms and Conditions" should be redrafted to
express conclusion 1. much more clearly.

I have posted some specific redrafting suggestions on
www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org.

Specific attention needs to be given to the (possibly unintended) effect of
the widely drawn definitions of "modification" and the reporting requirement
in paragraph 3. of the "Terms and Conditions" document.

If the perceived good intentions of both W3C and Sun on this matter are more
clearly expressed in revised versions of the documents then the potential
concern can be safely laid to rest.

I hope to see suitably revised documents posted in due course, sufficiently
clear to allay any slight remaining question over this matter.

Regards

Andrew Watt