"Scroll-free scrolling" - Is this the SVG WG position?

In a message dated 13/01/01 18:00:52 GMT Standard Time, jferraio@Adobe.COM
writes:

> SVG has defined "SVGScroll" to mean either scroll or pan, which should be
>  generalized to mean any shift in view regardless of the UI control used to
>  achieve it, which is consistent with what Patrick says below.
>
>  Jon Ferraiolo
>  SVG Editor
>  jferraio@adobe.com

Jon,

The SVG WG has widened the notion of "scrolling" to include "panning". OK, as
long as people are aware of the change of meaning in context.

However, it also appears that the SVG WG is moving to the notion that what I
term "scroll-free scrolling" is also a valid form of (in SVG parlance)
"scrolling".

If that is the SVG WG's considered position, then that goes far beyond
broadening the meaning of what "scrolling" is. It fundamentally changes the
meaning of the term.

Can you please clarify? Is the SVG simply broadening the meaning of
"scrolling"? Or is it attempting to fundamentally change the meaning of the
term, without (to the best of my knowledge) having publicly, hitherto, made
that fundamental shift in meaning clear?

Thank you in advance.

Andrew Watt