Re: Is the <g> element redundant in SVG?

In a message dated 11/01/01 20:40:35 GMT Standard Time, jferraio@Adobe.COM
writes:

> The <g> has at least one attribute that an <svg> doesn't have -- the
>  'transform' attribute, and the <svg> has many attributes  that a <g>
>  doesn't have, particularly document-level attributes. There are many notes
>  in the SVG spec about unique behavior with <svg> elements. While they
>  overlap quite a bit, there are clear differences.
>
>  There is clearly a need for two different elements.
>
>  Jon Ferraiolo
>  SVG Editor

Thanks, Jon.

I appreciated that the <svg> element has many more attributes than the <g>
element.

But, if the <svg> element had a transform attribute (as an optional
attribute) then wouldn't the <g> element essentially be redundant? Wouldn't
the nested <svg> be able to do all a <g> can do?

Just an idle rambling probably. :) ... I can't imagine anyone actually
wanting to move things back and take <g> out. :) ... <grin> especially the
editor of the Spec. </grin>

Andrew Watt