Re: Missing inheritance

We purposely do not offer anything but the XML DOM for the animation
elements. The reason for this is that the animation elements have been
defined in collaboration with the SYMM working group, the people who define
the SMIL language. The SYMM working group has chosen to work on the SMIL2
language first, and the SMIL2 DOM later. This decision was due to how much
time it takes to define something like a SMIL2 DOM, plus the fact that a
SMIL2 DOM would be a very complex undertaking. For example, take a look at
the 'begin' attribute on the animation elements -- not an easy thing to
express as an API. There is also the issue about interaction of the SMIL2
DOM with the timing features in the language.

The SVG working group felt that it didn't have the charter to define the
DOM for the animation elements, and we would face the same difficult
technical issues. Therefore, we decided to do nothing more than define
empty interfaces for the animation elements. So, the only way you can work
with the animation elements is via the XML Core DOM (e.g., getAttribute(),
setAttribute(). (Incidentally, we chose the same strategy for the font
elements due to lack of time and various difficult technical issues.)

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated