Re: Need clarifications about text

 At 02:42 PM 4/13/00 +0200, Thierry Kormann wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I need clarifications about the text and tspan element.
>
>Here is my example :
>
><tspan x="1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" style="fill: url(#horizontalLineatGradient)">
>  abc<tspan x="10, 20, 30">def</span>ghi
>
>1 - What's the coodinates of the "ghi" glyphs ? I suppose that they will
>be rendered at x=4, x=5 and x=6 but may be you could add some
>hints in the spec.

Yes, that is correct. I'll review the spec to see what I can do about make
things clearer.

>2 - Does the "ghi" glyphs will be rendered using the same instance of
>the horizontalLinearGradient definition (the gradient will continue from
"abc"
> to "ghi") or does the gradient will restart from the beginning ?

For the case of gradientUnits="objectBoundingBox", the bounding box is the
tightest rectangle enclosing all of the rendered glyphs in the entire
'text' element. This definitely warrants clarification in the spec. (I am
pretty sure the Adobe viewer has bugs in this area.)

>3 - The enclosed tspan uses the same fill than its parent's element. Does
>the "def" glyphs will be rendered using the same instance of the
>horizontalLinearGradient  than its parent (the gradient will continue through
>the whole string "abcdefghi") ?

See response to #2.

>And at last, if one of the glyph is an SVG document ? what is the impact
>in case of we use a gradient ? May be the WG should add clarifications
>in case of tspan inside tpsan or tspan inside text element as far as
>fill (gradient) is concerned.

Definitely some clarifications are in order. Thanks for the questions.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated