From: Chris Lilley [mailto:chris@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 4:21 PM
To: Justin Friedl
Cc: 'www-svg@w3.org'; 'jferraio@Adobe.COM'
Subject: Re: SVG MIME types

Justin Friedl wrote:

> I am using the Adobe SVG viewer.  I can create and view .svg files fine.
> want to view SVG files generated from an asp page.
> at the top of the asp I put <% Response.ContentType = "image/svg-xml"%>
> and then copied the content of a .svg file that I know works.  When I try
> view the page IE 5.0 doesn't recognize the image/svg-xml type and tryies
> download it.  I also tried
> <% Response.ContentType = "image/svg"%> This seems to work better.

The Adobe implementation only recognises the older MIME type, currently.

> The svg
> view tries to render it but gets the following error in the status bar:
> "xml processing instruction not at start of external entity: line 2,
column
> 0"
>
> <% Response.ContentType = "image/svg"%>
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
> <!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM "svg-19991203.dtd" >
> <svg width="1000" height="500">
>         <rect style="stroke:#000000; stroke-width:1; stroke-opacity:1;
> fill:#000000; fill-opacity:1" x="0" y="0" width="1000" height="500" />
> </svg>
>
> any suggestions?

If that is how your server lets you adjust the content type, fine - but it
should strip out this stuff before sending it to the client.

The problem is caused by the line you added, which sets the content type
but means the file is no longer well formed XML.

Are there any other ways to set the mime type, without editing individual
files?

--
Chris