Re: SVG and the promise of smaller size

----- Original Message -----
From: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon <petilon@yahoo.com>
To: Michael Gould <gould@inf.uji.es>; <www-svg@w3.org>
Sent: sábado, 16 de octubre de 1999 1:35
Subject: Re: SVG and the promise of smaller size

> Here is an example of what I am talking about:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/adobemag/archive/pdfs/99smtsdb.pdf
>
> This article in Adobe magazine touts SVG as a compact
> format. This sets wrong expectations, and could
> ultimately lead to the rejection of this nascent
> format.
>
> --- Michael Gould <gould@inf.uji.es> wrote:
> > I personally have not seen people overtly touting
> > SVG as a compact format.

Ok, so some people need to take care in describing the format. But I don't
really see a risk of rejection just because in some cases it's larger. It's
like RLE compression, which we use for raster maps with a few large,
homogeneous areas (like in vegetation coverage), but NOT for maps with high
variance across space (like in an unclassified satellite image where nearly
every pixel is different from its 8 neighbors).

By the way, I would recommend GIF over SVG to encode your surname. :-)

Cheers,
Mike Gould
mgould.com