Re: Possible to embed pixmaps in svg files?

Chris Lilley wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> >
> > Jan Aarsaether <jaa@metis.no> wrote:
> > > I just joined this list. I've looked at the log of this list, but
> > > could not find any answer to my question.
> >
> > iirc, this has been discussed before, and at least
> > at that time, the W3C response was "forget it"...
> >
> > (by some reason, the extra 33% that base64-
> > encoding adds seems to be a showstopper to
> > some...)
>
> That and the increase in cache pollution with multiple, non-reusable
> copies of images.

I found this interesting link:
http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/SVG/DoingIt/graphic-elts.html

"This allows you to embed a PNG or JPEG (but not a
GIF) image within an SVG image. Note that you use
the xlink:href attribute rather than the HTML img src
attribute to point to the image file. Also note that you
can specify the precise location of the embedded
image within the SVG image."

They do not discuss how this is being done in greater detail, nor do
they offer an example of how to do embedding within a svg file. I'll
keep looking, though, there must be something out there :->

--jaa