SVG paths vs. Flash paths (Re: XML and Vectors)

Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>Regarding file sizes, the SVG working group is paying close attention to
>this issue. A key point to remember is that modern Web servers and browser
>support gzip compression of Web content. gzip compression does a great job
>of shrinking down XML grammars (up to 10:1 compression).

fwiw, I recently made some experiments using an instrumented
flash decoder.  I've focussed on the vector data representation
(as the spec says, "many SVG files will be dominated by their path
data"), and it looks like zip-compressed SVG path data is about the
same size as the corresponding *uncompressed* Flash shapes.

> In many cases, SVG files compressed with gzip with be of
> comparable size with a corresponding Flash file.

On the other hand, most Flash files also get smaller if you
compress them...

Anyway, I plan to run these tests on a larger set of sample files
this weekend.  Stay tuned.

Cheers /F
fredrik@pythonware.com
http://www.pythonware.com