Re: Status of XSL and CSS?

[This is now off-topic, any follow-ups should go to www-style]

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Paul Prescod wrote:
> I was originally thinking that it might be useful to be able to make
> non-anchor objects clickable.

In CSS2, almost all content is already clickable, as the :active
pseudo-class applies to everything.

The only exception is generated content, because pseudo-elements must
appear at the end of the selector chain and thus the :active
pseudo-class cannot be applied to :before or :after.

It has been suggested on www-style that this rule be changed, thus
making even generated content clickable.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html#mylessrules

What actually _happens_ when you click an element (apart from its
changing style), is beyond the scope of CSS. The Cascading Action
Sheets proposal discusses this.

   *  *  *

># The full presentation of some HTML elements cannot be expressed in
># CSS2, including replaced elements (IMG, OBJECT).
> I *do not* think that displaying images for arbitrary element type
> names is beyond CSS's complexity curve!!

This has also been suggested. In fact, a rather comprehensive proposal
was written on www-style.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html#replaced

   *  *  *

> I also think that CSS3 needs to support text generated cross
> references.

This also has been suggested.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html#crossref

   *  *  *

Hopefully the CSS Working Group will include these features in CSS3.
:-)

--
Ian Hickson
U+2642 U+2651