Re: Status of XSL and CSS?

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> >
> > Correct; and, that is a good thing.
> >
> > The spec that describes how authors describe links of various types in
> > their document is XLink, not CSS.
>
> Fine, but the specification that describes how those links should be
> presented to the user should be a stylesheet language:

Aha, but that is not what you originally said.

So, now, the issue has come down to "given the links on my foo and bar
elements, how do I style them?

foo:link { text-decoration: underline; color: blue}
bar:link:before {content: url(icon.png) }

Or, if you don't know what the link elements are called, then a more
general

:link { color: green }

will do nicely.

> It is probably best for CSS to wait for XLink before defining these things

Actually, we are waiting for XLink; because the styling part is already
there.

> By lumping computers and televisions together, as if they exerted a
> single malign influence, pessimists have tried to argue that the
> electronic revolution spells the end of the sort of literate culture
> that began with Gutenberg’s press. On several counts, that now seems
> the reverse of the truth.

Interesting choice of quote, given the amount of naysaying you have been
doing in this thread.

--
Chris