RE: Group/Template Support

Jon,

I agree it adds a degree of complexity to both the syntax and the
implementation, and off the top of my head I can't think of a really good
reason to have this functionality within the SVG grammar (although I will
keep looking for one).

The reason for my question (and you'll have to excuse my ramblings, I'm only
just starting to get my head around the possibilities for SVG) is that
graphics templates are used (by my company at least) for two different
purposes -

1)	To provide a "linked shape" that can be pasted into different pages,
and if the original is changed, every page that uses that shape gets
updated. I am guessing that this sort of concept will be available in SVG
via the "standalone packaging" mechanism.
2)	To provide a graphics building block that the author can modify
(stretch, change colors, fonts etc) to suit their need. In this case I guess
the authoring tool itself would need to copy the SVG group object from the
template, thus breaking the link to the template.

I guess the only thing I am not sure whether SVG in the draft format would
provide is access to the child objects of a group object instantiated from a
template via the DOM. If not, this would be a definite need for a lot of
users I would imagine.

The other issue I would like to raise is that the concept of a template and
a group is a great one, but in some ways it seems like an issue that should
be adopted in a higher level XML grammar. As an example of why this might be
necessary, the "shapes" my company currently provides include not only SVG
compatible content such as graphics, images and text, but also binary
components (ActiveX controls etc) referenced through <OBJECT> tags. It would
be great if a template was a true reusable fragment of XML tags that could
be instantiated multiple times (I'm not sure if this can already be done in
XML, but if it can, why do we need the concept of templates in SVG?).

Hope I haven't confused you too much - I know at this stage I am very
confused, but hopefully this e-mail archive will start to clear thing up
once more people get involved.

Regards,
Ian